Assistant Cafe Manager
The Assistant Cafe Manager will be responsible for following all rules of the Jefferson County Health Department; assisting with the daily operations of the Smart Cafe (food court, school lunches and catering) including, but not limited to, food and beverage preparation as well as various cleaning and re-staging functions; assisting with personnel issues among all food service staff; and serving as the lead in the Director’s absence. As an Assistant Manager, you must have the drive to grow and succeed professionally and a natural aptitude for leadership. You must be friendly, bright and organized and you must possess superb customer service and communication skills. You must also display the integrity and character necessary to make ethical decisions for our business and customers and you must take initiative to drive activity and change.
This position includes a full-benefits package including paid time off.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
- Act in supervisory role in the absence of the Director of Food and Beverage.
- Ensure all sanitation, cleanliness, and food safety guidelines are adhered to as set forth by state and national health agencies.
- Assist in the preparation, cooking, and presentation of food items for restaurant and catering service. Ensure food quality and availability.
- Assist in making sure all controls and systems set in place by the Director of Food and Beverage are adhered to: inventory, food loss, goods, labor, and utilities. Work with management team to optimize profits by controlling these costs.
- Accurately process register transactions, deposits and safe transactions. Follow all established money-related controls and systems.
- Assist in daily business paperwork and computer-work.
- Ensure company policy and Brand Equity Standards are followed. Provide leadership and direction to all team members to ensure efficient operation.
- Maintain an overall management style in accordance with McWane Science Center’s established practices, commitments and values. Assist with personnel functions including but not limited to policies/procedures, performance evaluations and disciplinary procedures.
- Ensure guest satisfaction and prompt problem resolution.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Possess 3 year restaurant and/or catering experience.
- Possess at least 1 year cash handling experience.
- Minimum 2 years management experience required.
- Excellent internal and external customer service and communication skills.
- ServSafe Certified.
- Be able to read and understand a PNL and be familiar with cost of goods controls; possess basic math skills including fractions and proportions.
- Be knowledgeable of operations in a full service kitchen as to maximize output and minimize waste.
- Be knowledgeable of the principles of providing customer service, customer needs assessment and evaluation.
- Be able to work flexible hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Be able to hire, train, evaluate and provide corrective action for all employees.
- Be knowledgeable of safety and use of various food service tools and equipment.
- Be able to create and manage programs and checklists that benefit the cafe and/or catering program.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications:
- Ability to stand, walk, climb and be mobile for 8-14 hours per day.
- Ability to access any area of the museum quickly, including stairs.
- Ability to push, pull and lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Ability to communicate and enunciate clearly on the portable radios.
- Ability to withstand high temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Ability to withstand freezer temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Possess good reflexes and physical dexterity in the hands and wrist.
- Visual and hearing acuity.
Back to Employment Opportunities