Early Childhood Education Presenter (up to 20 hours per week)
The Early Childhood Education Presenter is stationed within McWane Science Center’s early childhood area, Itty Bitty Magic City. The position is responsible for greeting visitors in a friendly and outgoing manner; modeling play behavior at exhibits; presenting programs (including birthday parties); encouraging parents to play with their children; and keeping the entire area clean and safe at all times. This position will rotate throughout the day between cleaning/restaging, greeting/security and program presentations.
Accountabilities and Major Duties:
- Welcome visitors to Itty Bitty Magic City with enthusiasm and in a friendly manner.
- Engage in facilitation of exhibit spaces with families and school groups.
- Monitor the age requirement in Itty Bitty Magic City and Tot Spot.
- Monitor capacity limits of area in busy times and control gate entry as needed.
- Monitor gate entry to ensure no children leave IBMC without an adult.
- Assist visitors with stroller parking.
- Hand out helpful information as instructed regarding programming, take home information, etc.
- Be familiar with the entire center in order to effectively answer questions from visitors.
- Continuously restage and clean area and be attentive to broken and missing items.
- Present programs as assigned by supervisor.
- Assist in the daily preparation and clean up of programs as instructed.
- Assist in the daily opening and closing procedures of IBMC.
- Recognize and respond to the needs of children by using developmentally appropriate techniques.
- Assist lost children with efficiency following proper procedures.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Working towards Preschool Certification, a degree in Early Childhood Education (or related field) or commensurate experience.
- Previous experience and enthusiasm for working with children 6 and under required.
- Friendly, outgoing and upbeat personality.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Comfort with public speaking.
- Knowledge of good customer service principles, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be a self-directed, creative problem solver with excellent follow-through.
- Ability to engage with children and adults in a friendly, outgoing and professional manner.
- Must be able and willing to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Comfort with handling small animals preferred.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications:
- Sit/stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area; including walking, kneeling, crawling and playing.
- Lift objects frequently in performing the work (10-20 lbs)
- Pull or push objects on a regular basis (50 lbs.).
- Grasp object utilizing the fingers.`
- Reach for objects above the head or below the waist.
- Stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or by bending legs.
- Hearing and visual acuity.
- Exposure to chemicals, fumes and vapors that could potentially affect the health of the employee.
Back to employment opportunities