Events Specialist — Birthdays (primarily weekends w/ one weekend off per month)
*SPARKING WONDER & CURIOSITY ABOUT OUR WORLD THROUGH HANDS-ON SCIENCE EXPERIENCES*
McWane Science Center counts on the Birthday Specialist to assist with the organization and implementation of the Birthday Party Program at McWane Science Center, as well as offering support for other special events, including but not limited to overnight adventures. The Birthday Specialist is responsible for providing excellent customer service to all guests and supporting the operations of the Special Events Department through the organization and distribution of all program materials, leading various activities and programs, and working directly with the Director of Special Events to ensure cohesiveness, productivity, and thorough communication within the organization.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
- Supporting the Special Events Department in the preparation, setup, execution, and breakdown, of all events, including but not limited to birthday parties and overnight adventures, that meet and exceed the clients expectations.
- Providing excellent customer service and communication skills to past, present and future guests.
- Presenting exciting, up-to-date hands-on pre-written science programs for special events.
- Facilitating on-site client contact to both current and prospective clients, including but not limited to showing party rooms, check in, guest liaison, explaining programs and procedures, etc.
- Gathering all materials needed for event programs and assuring all materials are setup and distributed in a timely manner.
- Preparing for events by organizing and counting inventory when needed.
- Spending the night at McWane Science Center as needed according to the overnight rotation schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- High school diploma.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Working weekends is required. One weekend off per month is typical. Holiday work may be required. Flexible working hours and days throughout a seven-day work week including nights is preferred.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for working with children and adults of all ages.
- Pleasant, outgoing personality.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment with distractions.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Organized and efficient work habits.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Team player.
- Ability to handle small animals, including reptiles, in program presentations required.
- Possess non-expired national or county issued food safety certification or obtain no later than 30 days of hire date.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications
- Ability to stand for up to eight hours at a time.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull objects up to fifty pounds.
- Ability to work non-traditional shifts and extended days.
- Ability to stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or bending legs.
- Ability to stay awake and be engaging and attentive for extended periods of time, including during non-traditional hours.
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time.
- Exposure to constant or intermittent high noise levels.
- Hearing and Visual acuity.
Benefits include discounts in our gift shop and food court; free membership; and on-site parking.
Back to Employment Opportunities