Events Specialist – Overnight Adventures (part-time/on-call)
*SPARKING WONDER & CURIOSITY ABOUT OUR WORLD THROUGH HANDS-ON SCIENCE EXPERIENCES*
The Events Specialist – Overnight Adventures is responsible for assisting with the organization and implementation of Overnight Adventures at McWane Science Center as well as offering support for other special events including, but not limited to, birthday parties. This position is responsible for providing excellent customer service and supporting the operations of the Special Events Department through the organization and distribution of all program materials; leading various activities and programs; and spending the night according to the overnight rotation.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
- Spending the night at McWane Science Center according to the overnight rotation schedule.
- Presenting exciting, up-to-date, hands-on pre-written science programs for special events.
- Supporting the Special Events Department in the preparation, setup, execution, and breakdown of all events including, but not limited to, overnight adventures and birthday parties.
- Providing excellent customer service and communication skills to past, present and future guests.
- Gathering all materials needed for event programs and assuring all materials are setup and distributed in a timely manner.
- Facilitating on-site client contact to both current and prospective clients including check in, guest liaison, explaining programs and procedures, etc.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- High school diploma.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Flexible working hours and days throughout a seven-day work week including nights, weekends, and holidays. Weekend and evening work availability required. Spends the night at McWane Science Center according to the overnight rotation schedule.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills; pleasant, outgoing personality.
- Comfortable in speaking to large groups.
- Enthusiasm for working with children and adults of all ages.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment with distractions.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision; organized and efficient work habits.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Team player.
- Comfort in handing small animals preferred.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications
- Ability to stay awake and be engaging and attentive for extended periods of time, including during non-traditional hours; ability to work non-traditional shifts and extended days.
- Ability to stand for up to eight hours at a time; ability to walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull objects up to fifty pounds.
- Ability to stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or bending legs.
- Exposure to constant or intermittent high noise levels.
- Hearing and Visual acuity.
Benefits include discounts in our gift shop and food court; free membership; and on-site parking.
Back to Employment Opportunities