The Gift Shop Associate is responsible for supporting the daily operations of the gift shop, Cool Stuff Store, by providing excellent customer service and a clean, relaxed shopping environment for all customers and guests and by assisting with all sales and merchandising.
Cool Stuff Store is open to the public Monday through Friday from 9AM until 5PM (6PM in the summer); 10AM until 6PM on Saturday and Noon until 6PM on Sunday.
Major Duties include:
1. Assisting in maintaining a clean, relaxed, and friendly shopping environment, assisting with all product check-in while maintaining an accurate inventory, and maintaining a clean, neat visual presentation of all mentioned product.
2. Greeting all customers with sincerity and enthusiasm and offering to assist all customers with extensive product knowledge and a friendly attitude.
3. Completing all visitor transactions accurately and in a timely manner. Following all opening/closing procedures as directed by supervisory staff.
4. Answering all incoming calls and guest inquires with a positive attitude.
5. Assisting in maintaining store cleanliness and merchandising of products.
6. Maintaining a high level of professionalism in performing assigned duties and tasks in representing McWane Science Center.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Flexible working hours and days throughout the 7-day week.
3. Excellent customer service and communication skills with the ability to meet the customer’s needs.
4. Pleasant, outgoing personality.
5. Legible handwriting.
6. Two years cash handling/customer service experience.
7. Demonstrated ability to count down and balance a cash drawer.
8. Capable of working in a fast pace environment with distractions.
9. Working knowledge of computers.
10. Must be at least 18 years of age to apply.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications:
1. Able to climb a step-ladder to merchandise or retrieve products.
2. Perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time.
3. Stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
4. Ability to operate a computer and register.
5. Ability to push and pull up to 50 lbs.
6. Visual and hearing acuity.