Teen Volunteer Program
The 2017 Summer Teen Program is open to students completing 8th-12th* grades in May 2017. This program is an exciting hands-on experience for teens interested in science and technology. In addition to inspiring a lifelong love of learning and positively impacting the lives of our youth, Summer Teen Volunteers gain invaluable experience in public speaking, work ethic, and leadership.
- Applicants must complete 8th-12th* grade in May 2017.
- Applicants must submit the following:
- Online application form (submit here)
- One character reference letter from a non-relative
- One professional or educational letter of recommendation
- Applicants must attend an interview to be considered for the program
- If accepted, Teen Volunteers MUST attend ONE training session: May 31st-June 1st OR June 7th-8th
- Teen Volunteers must volunteer a minimum of 100 hours by the end of the summer program
- April 1, 2017: All online applications must be submitted by 11:59pm on Saturday, April 1st.
- April 10, 2017: All 3 supporting documents (resume & 2 letters) must be submitted by Monday, April 10th.
All applicants will be invited to interview in early April and will receive a decision no later than May 1, 2017.
Please submit your 3 supporting documents via one of the following methods:
- Email: To Bethany Harris email@example.com **with the applicant’s name in the subject**
- Fax: 205-714-8400
- Mail: Volunteer Department McWane Science Center 200 19th Street N Birmingham, AL 35203
*No late applications will be accepted.
- 20% off in the Café.
- 25% off in the Really Cool Stuff store.
- FREE family membership after completing 100 volunteer hours.
- The ability to check in friends and family members while on duty.
- The opportunity to share your passion for science and learning with the community!
*If you are 18 years of age or will turn 18 during the summer, you must submit to a criminal background check at no cost to you.
NOTE: Unfortunately, there are no more current open opportunities for teens 14 years and up to volunteer for the remainder of the 2016-2017 school year. If you wish to volunteer for the 2017-2018 school year, we will begin accepting applications in August 2017.
Note: All JCIB Work Study positions have been filled for the 2016-2017 school year.