Teen Volunteer Program
The 2017 Summer Teen Program is open to students completing 8th-12th* grades in May 2017. This program is an exciting hands-on experience for teens interested in science and technology. In addition to inspiring a lifelong love of learning and positively impacting the lives of our youth, Summer Teen Volunteers gain invaluable experience in public speaking, work ethic, and leadership.
Applications for the 2017 Summer Junior Teen Program are now closed, and we do not accept any late submissions.
Applications for the 2018 Summer Junior Teen Program will open in January 2018.
Information for 2017 Summer Applicants
- April 10, 2017: All 3 supporting documents (resume & 2 letters) must be submitted by Monday, April 10th. All applicants will be invited to interview in early April and will receive a decision no later than May 1, 2017.
- Please submit your 3 supporting documents via one of the following methods:
- Email: To Bethany Harris email@example.com **with the applicant’s name in the subject**
- Fax: 205-714-8400
- Mail: Volunteer Department McWane Science Center 200 19th Street N Birmingham, AL 35203
- Once all 3 supporting documents have been received, all applicants are invited via email to attend an interview. (If you have not already been contacted and think you have already submitted all 3 documents, please contact us for confirmation.)
- If accepted, Teen Volunteers MUST attend ONE training session: May 31st-June 1st OR June 7th-8th
- Junior Teen Volunteers must volunteer a minimum of 50 hours by the end of the summer program.
2017-2018 School Year Teen Program
Applications will open in late July or early August 2017. Teens must be 14 years or older to apply. We accept teens all throughout the fall semester with bimonthly orientations in September, November and January. Check back later for a link to the application.
- 20% off in the Café.
- 25% off in the Really Cool Stuff store.
- FREE family membership after completing 100 volunteer hours.
- The ability to check in friends and family members while on duty.
- The opportunity to share your passion for science and learning with the community!
*If you are 18 years of age or will turn 18 during the summer, you must submit to a criminal background check at no cost to you.