McWane Science Center counts on the Special Events Coordinator to effectively execute the organization and implementation of Special Events, specifically including but not limited to Overnight Adventures and Birthday Parties, as well as assisting with all other events at McWane Science Center. The Special Events Coordinator will serve as a liaison between clients and key departments and work directly with the Director of Special Events to ensure cohesiveness, productivity, and thorough communication within the organization.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
1. Provide exemplary and positive customer service to past, present, and future clients and their guests at all times.
2. Primary responsibility will be to coordinate and execute the organization and implementation of all Overnight Adventures and Birthdays. This includes scheduling, client communication, database management, sales strategy execution, maintaining and organizing an accurate inventory of materials and supplies, ensuring the proper setup and distribution during events and spending the night at McWane Science Center and/or hosting birthday parties, as needed. Position will also assist with other private or public events as needed.
3. Sell and promote McWane Science Center and its offerings to potential clients including onsite tours as well as phone and email response in a timely and professional manner.
4. Oversee the training of the Birthday and Overnight Adventure staff in the implementation of policies and procedures and the presentation of exciting, up-to-date, hands-on science programs for birthday parties and overnight adventures. including spending the night at McWane Science Center and/or hosting birthday parties, that exceed clients’ expectations.
5. Assist the Director of Special Events in the development and execution of events and
corporate sales strategies including but not limited to client database management.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Qualifications
1. Flexible working hours throughout a 7-day work week; working nights, weekends and holidays required. Two weekends per month is typical.
2. Capable of working independently in a fast-paced environment, with little or no supervision, with flexibility and the ability to adapt to diverse and rapidly changing circumstances.
3. Excellent customer service and communication skills with the ability to work proactively and effectively to meet the customers’ needs and exceed their expectations.
4. Team player with strong organizational, communication and problem-solving skills with efficient work habits and time management.
5. Proficient computer skills.
6. Enthusiasm for working with children and adults of all ages including parents and families.
7. Availability to spend the night at McWane Science Center according to the Overnight Adventure schedule.
8. Must be at least 21 years of age.
9. Possess non-expired national or county issued food safety certification or obtain no later than 30 days of hire date.
10. Ability to handle small animals, including reptiles, in program presentations required.
Minimum Physical Qualifications
1. Ability to work non-traditional shifts and extended days
2. Ability to stand, sit at a computer or talk on the phone for long periods of time
3. Ability to walk for considerable distances in performing work including climbing stairs
4. Ability to stay awake and be attentive for extended periods time
5. Pull or push objects on a regular basis (50 lbs.)
6. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
7. Ability to stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or bending legs
8. Grasp objects utilizing the fingers
9. Reach for objects above the head or below the waist
10. Visual and hearing acuity