*SPARKING WONDER AND CURIOSITY ABOUT OUR WORLD THROUGH HANDS-ON LEARNING EXPERIENCES*
McWane Science Center counts on the Facilities Maintenance Technician to provide maintenance, security, safety and support for McWane Science Center’s personnel, the public, structures and properties; adhere to schedule of preventive maintenance necessary for optimum functioning of equipment and the facility; oversee the daily operating and cleaning functions of assigned staff; and support the special event staff by set-up and take-down of tables, chairs, etc. for special events hosted in the facility. Position will assume responsibility for shipping, receiving and materials handled for the facility and assist in all other departments as needed. The shift will be 5 days/week over a 7-day period varying between “opening” (6:30AM) and “closing” (10:00PM). Additional hours and schedule shifts may/will be required to meet the needs of the Center.
Minimum Job Qualifications
1. High School diploma or GED.
2. Minimum of two (2) years experience in a situation requiring good judgment and the exercise of responsibility for individuals and property.
3. Dependable and must be able to work flexible hours.
4. Valid Alabama driver’s license.
5. Minimum liability insurance as required by state law.
6. Honesty and integrity.
7. General mechanical aptitude.
8. Organized and efficient work habits.
9. Effective interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
10. Must be at least 18 years of age.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications
1. Capable of lifting moderately heavy objects (tables, desks, chairs, etc.).
2. Must be able to quickly assess situations and use good judgment to react to thefts, emergencies and visitor complaints.
3. Must be able to access any area of the museum quickly, including stairs, catwalks and ladders.
4. Must be able to open and close circuit breaker box, flip breakers on and off and set and reset alarms.
5. Must be able to climb 8-10 ft. ladders, to dust, pull pins, manipulate various devices, as well as man an electric lifting device.
6. Must be able to pull the pin on a fire extinguisher and use it effectively.
7. Must be able to communicate and enunciate clearly with portable radios and P.A. system.
8. Must be able to stand, walk, climb steps and be mobile for 6-8 hours per day.
9. Must be able to use a wide variety of common hand and power tools and possess general handy-man skills.
10. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and be able to push or pull with 75lbs. of force.
11. Must be able to manipulate cleaning machinery, buffers, vacuum cleaner, etc.
12. Must be able to read and comprehend OSHA Safety Data Sheets and product labels.
13. Ability to operate a motor vehicle.