Facilities Maintenance Technician (Full-Time with Benefits)
*SPARKING WONDER AND CURIOSITY ABOUT OUR WORLD THROUGH HANDS-ON LEARNING EXPERIENCES*
Responsible for the maintenance, security, safety and support for McWane Science Center’s personnel, the public, structures and properties. Responsibilities include adhering to the schedule of preventive maintenance necessary for optimum functioning of equipment and the facility; overseeing the daily operating and cleaning functions of assigned staff; supporting the special event staff by set-up and take-down of tables, chairs, etc. for facility events as well as reserved lunches; assuming responsibility for shipping, receiving and materials handled for the facility; and assisting in all other departments as needed. The workweek for this position will primarily be Tuesday through Saturday for 40 hours per week.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
- Facilitates the security and safety functions of McWane Science Center, its personnel, properties, and the public, during public and non-public hours, during evening and special events. Adheres to and helps reinforce all safety protocols. Handle the opening and closing of the Center in a timely manner. Handles fire, first aid, police and other emergencies effectively with minimum casualties and property. Exercises good judgment in emergency situations; quickly assess situations and initiate appropriate action. Clearly communicates evacuation and emergency instructions to Visitor Services and fire department personnel. Minimize injuries, theft, and related problems through appropriate action or communication. Responds to security and other after-hours emergencies as directed. Properly documents all incidents with a written report per our procedures.
- Assists with overseeing and communicating with McWane Science Center’s custodial maintenance on a day-to-day basis to ensure the highest possible level of cleanliness and sanitation is maintained. Oversees the start-up, close-up, daily and special events cleaning routines. Assesses changing needs of the Center’s floor and back-of-house areas and communicates to the Director of Facilities, as appropriate. Performs individual cleaning tasks as needed in order to keep the facility free of debris on the floors and grounds.
- Facilitates maintenance functions for McWane Science Center and its properties during public/non-public hours as required. Communicates building, grounds and equipment maintenance problems or needs to the Building Mechanic/Engineer or Director of Facilities as they become apparent in a timely manner. Assists staff in maintenance tasks as required in a helpful positive manner. Adheres to preventive maintenance schedule. Handles, relocates, stores, and inventories furniture, equipment and other materials in a safe, organized manner. Operates company vehicles in the performance of assigned tasks. Receives and routes incoming and outgoing shipments.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism in performing assigned duties and responsibilities. Supports the Corporate philosophy and ensures that all work rules, policies and procedures are adhered to. Exhibits willingness to perform whatever duties are necessary in the development and maintenance of the facility, even if not specifically stated in this job description. Develops effective working relationships with staff and interacts with staff, volunteers, contractors, and others in a friendly and professional manner while providing excellent internal and external customers service.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in a situation requiring good judgment and the exercise of responsibility for individuals and property.
- Dependable and must be able to work flexible hours including some nights and holidays. This position requires weekend work.
- Valid Alabama driver’s license and minimum liability insurance as required by state law.
- Honesty and Integrity.
- General mechanical aptitude.
- Organized and efficient work habits.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
Minimum Physical Qualifications
- Capable of lifting moderately heavy objects (tables, desks, chairs, etc.).
- Must be able to quickly assess situations and use good judgment to react to thefts, emergencies and visitor complaints.
- Must be able to access any area of the museum quickly, including stairs, catwalks and ladders.
- Must be able to open and close circuit breaker box, flip breakers on and off and set and reset alarms.
- Must be able to climb 8-10 ft. ladders, to dust, pull pins, manipulate various devices, as well as man an electric lifting device.
- Must be able to pull the pin on a fire extinguisher and use it effectively.
- Must be able to communicate and enunciate clearly with portable radios and P.A. system.
- Must be able to stand, walk, climb steps and be mobile for 6-8 hours per day.
- Must be able to use a wide variety of common hand and power tools and possess general handy-man skills.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and be able to push or pull with 75lbs. of force.
- Must be able to manipulate cleaning machinery, buffers, vacuum cleaner, etc.
- Must be able to read and comprehend OSHA Safety Data Sheets and product labels.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Benefits include health, dental and life insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan; paid time off; free membership; discounts in our gift shop and food court; and on-site parking.
Back to Employment Opportunities