Early Childhood Education Presenter (up to 20 hours per week)
*SPARKING WONDER & CURIOSITY ABOUT OUR WORLD THROUGH HANDS-ON SCIENCE EXPERIENCES*
The Early Childhood Education Presenter is stationed within McWane Science Center’s early childhood area, Itty Bitty Magic City. The position is responsible for greeting visitors in a friendly and outgoing manner; modeling play behavior at exhibits; presenting programs (including birthday parties); encouraging parents to play with their children; and keeping the entire area clean and safe at all times. This position will rotate throughout the day between cleaning/restaging, greeting/security and program presentations.
Accountabilities and Major Duties:
- Welcome visitors to Itty Bitty Magic City with enthusiasm and in a friendly manner.
- Engage in facilitation of exhibit spaces with families and school groups.
- Monitor the age requirement in Itty Bitty Magic City and Tot Spot.
- Monitor capacity limits of area in busy times and control gate entry as needed.
- Monitor gate entry to ensure no children leave IBMC without an adult.
- Assist visitors with stroller parking.
- Hand out helpful information as instructed regarding programming, take home information, etc.
- Be familiar with the entire center in order to effectively answer questions from visitors.
- Continuously restage and clean area and be attentive to broken and missing items.
- Present programs as assigned by supervisor.
- Assist in the daily preparation and clean up of programs as instructed.
- Assist in the daily opening and closing procedures of IBMC.
- Recognize and respond to the needs of children by using developmentally appropriate techniques.
- Assist lost children with efficiency following proper procedures.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Working towards Preschool Certification, a degree in Early Childhood Education (or related field) or commensurate experience.
- Previous experience and enthusiasm for working with children 6 and under required.
- Friendly, outgoing and upbeat personality.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Comfort with public speaking.
- Knowledge of good customer service principles, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be a self-directed, creative problem solver with excellent follow-through.
- Ability to engage with children and adults in a friendly, outgoing and professional manner.
- Must be able and willing to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Comfort with handling small animals preferred.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications:
- Sit/stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area; including walking, kneeling, crawling and playing.
- Lift objects frequently in performing the work (10-20 lbs)
- Pull or push objects on a regular basis (50 lbs.).
- Grasp object utilizing the fingers.`
- Reach for objects above the head or below the waist.
- Stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or by bending legs.
- Hearing and visual acuity.
- Exposure to chemicals, fumes and vapors that could potentially affect the health of the employee.
Benefits include free membership; discounts in our gift shop, food court and camps; and on-site parking as well as the option to participate in our 403(b) retirement savings plan including company match.Back to employment opportunities