“SPARKING WONDER AND CURIOSITY ABOUT OUR WORLD THROUGH HANDS-ON SCIENCE EXPERIENCES”
McWane Science Center counts on the part-time Education Specialist to engage visitors in programs, classes, demonstrations, and activities in an enthusiastic, accurate, and interactive manner. Additionally, the Education Specialist develops and implements a variety of educational experiences including: reserved school programs, outreach programs, home school labs, summer/holiday camps, adult/teen programs, professional development workshops and special educational events/projects. This position is also responsible for assisting with the care of the animals in our educational animal collection which includes feeding, cleaning and animal handling.
Accountabilities and Major Duties:
1. Enthusiastically, accurately and effectively engage visitors and audience members in learning through high quality inquiry-based educational interactions and presentations.
2. Develop and/or revise quality educational programs for a variety of audiences and experiences. Develop interactive hands-on activities and written interpretative materials that support program and exhibit content.
3. Be willing to increase knowledge of science concepts related to exhibits and programs; interaction and presentation techniques, as well as learning methods and educational philosophies by participating in training sessions, seminars, workshops, self-directed research and other professional development activities. This includes maintaining familiarity with current trends in science and education, view other educators’ programs and classes to learn different teaching styles and techniques and serve as a mentor to new Educators and Volunteer staff.
4. Assist with the care of the animals in our educational animal collection, which includes feeding, cleaning, and animal handling.
5. Perform confirmation and follow-up correspondence with Outreach program customers.
6. Exhibit interpretation and staffing all areas of the museum on an as needed basis.
7. Train on and comply with all aspects of the Safety Procedures program (compliance to OSHA and MSDS requirements is mandatory).
Minimum Job Qualifications:
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications:
Benefits include discounts in our gift shop, food court and camps; free membership; 403(b) savings plan; and on-site parking.