Group Events Specialist — Birthdays (Saturdays/Sundays; 1 weekend off per month)
*SPARKING WONDER AND CURIOSITY ABOUT OUR WORLD THROUGH HANDS-ON SCIENCE EXPERIENCES*
McWane Science Center counts on the Birthday Specialist to assist with the organization and implementation of the Birthday Party Program at McWane Science Center, as well as offering support for other McWane events, including but not limited to Overnight Adventures. The Birthday Specialist is responsible for providing excellent customer service to all guests and supporting the operations of the Group Services Department through the organization and distribution of all program materials, leading various activities/programs and working directly with the Manager of Group Events and Reservations and the Group Events Assistant to ensure cohesiveness, productivity, and thorough communication within the organization.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
- Supporting the Group Events Department in the preparation, setup, execution, and breakdown, of all events, including but not limited to birthday parties and overnight adventures, that meet and exceed the clients’ expectations.
- Providing excellent customer service and communication skills to past, present and future guests.
- Presenting exciting, up-to-date hands-on pre-written science programs for Birthday Parties.
- Able to answer questions about Birthday and Overnight programs from an information table in the lobby when not hosting Birthday parties during a scheduled shift.
- Gathering all materials needed for event programs and assuring all materials are setup and distributed in a timely manner.
- Spending the night at McWane Science Center as needed according to the overnight rotation schedule. *
*Is only able to spend the night if 21 years of age.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Working weekends is required. One weekend off per month is typical. Holiday work may be required. Flexible working hours and days throughout a seven-day work week including nights is preferred.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for working with children and adults of all ages.
- Pleasant, outgoing personality.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment with multiple distractions.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Organized and efficient work habits.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Team player.
- Ability to handle small animals, including reptiles, in program presentations required.
Minimum Physical Qualifications
- Ability to stand for up to eight hours at a time.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull objects up to twenty-five pounds.
- Ability to work non-traditional shifts and extended days.
- Ability to stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or bending legs.
- Ability to stay awake and be engaging and attentive for extended periods of time, including during non-traditional hours.
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time.
- Exposure to constant or intermittent high noise levels.
- Hearing and Visual acuity.
Benefits include free membership; discounts in our gift shop, food court and camps; and on-site parking.
Back to Employment Opportunities