Volunteer Services Coordinator (up to 28 hours per week)
*SPARKING WONDER AND CURIOSITY ABOUT OUR WORLD THROUGH HANDS-ON SCIENCE EXPERIENCES*
McWane Science Center counts on the Volunteer Services Coordinator to assist in coordinating volunteers across the science center and in the scheduling of floor programming and exhibit interpretation to ensure the excellence of the visitor experience. This position will work closely with the Manager of Volunteer Services to complete daily schedules. They will make frequent daily checks and work with the volunteer staff to provide support and monitor performance while motivating them to provide a dynamic and fun experience for our guests. They will also facilitate exhibit interpretation, including the Touch Tank, High Cycle, etc. on a regular basis. Weekend and evening work is required.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
- Assist the Manager of Volunteer Services in recruiting, interviewing, orientating, training, and retaining volunteers.
- Create and coordinate daily schedules for volunteers and check staffing when necessary.
- Communicate with volunteers and community members via email and phone; respond to inquiries about the volunteer program in a timely manner.
- Be a role model to volunteers on effective ways to best engage and interact with our visitors.
- Work closely with all aspects of the Teen and Junior Teen Programs, including monitoring the application process and attending monthly Teen Leader workshops.
- Assist the Science Engagement department by creating a vibrant and exciting atmosphere on the exhibit floor.
- Effectively engage visitors and audience members in learning through informal inquiry-based demonstrations, exhibit interpretation, and presentations to the public.
- Always put the visitor first and strive toward the best customer service possible.
- Answer general visitor inquiries about the facility, exhibits or programs
Benefits include free membership; discounts in our gift shop, food court and camps; on-site parking; and 403(b) retirement plan opportunity.
Back to employment opportunities